“I haven’t tried because I don’t like it” – goes the witticism, but that’s not the case with people who have not tried a horse-drawn sleigh ride. Winter sleigh rides, with warm drinks and food to follow, are among the most sought-after seasonal pursuits for all ages. If you haven’t tried one it’s more likely the opportunity has not appeared, or you have not made it appear. So five good reasons to try winter sleigh rides as Breckenridge, Colorado, are:
- It’s fun and accessible: Fans come back year after year, from all over the United States and overseas, to the centrally located Breckenridge, Colorado, 2 Below Zero. And they return to have as much fun on the ride and after as the years before. Two Below Zero is a family-owned business in Summit County, Frisco, in the heart of the Rockies; a family treating families to fun. Frisco is central, between Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, Dillon, Silverthorpe and accessible from I-70.
- It’s musical: Leroy Anderson’s Sleigh Ride may be ringing in your ears before you start but you are sure to finish the day with some lively guitar and banjo music from the staff as you dine. Musician David Peel has recorded several CDs and he’s a great crowd pleaser around the campsite.
- It’s affordable – and that’s the bottom line. The dinner sleigh ride of two hours duration is open from mid-November until mid-April and peak prices apply at holiday times ( December 17 to January 2) . Adults, aged 13 and over, pay $84 and $89 at peak. Children (4 to 12) pay $55 and $60 and under fours are free. The scenic hot cocoa ride, that lasts an hour and includes live musical entertainment, costs adults $55 and $59 and children $45 and $49.
- It’s romantic and old-fashioned. Snuggled up warm and tripping through the snow, the winter sleigh ride is a favorite with honeymooners at 2 Below Zero. They are eager to recapture bygone traditions, have a memorable and well-photographed time doing it, and relax afterward with a satisfying dinner. Two Below Zero offers the whole wedding experience, from rehearsal dinner to reception – and the happy couple leaving in a horse-drawn sleigh. What better excuse to get married in winter?
- “Because it’s there.” Just as that’s the mountaineer’s reason for climbing a tough, forbidding peak, it’s because you are in Colorado that you take winter sleigh rides. Two Below Zero is rated #1 sleigh ride in America and TV travel commentator Samantha Brown called it the best thing she did in Colorado. Not only is it “there”, it’s “right up there.” You are traveling on trails that are groomed daily. Dinner winter sleigh rides start at 5:30 p.m. and 7:45 p.m - in the twilight and the evening, with all the special atmosphere those times invoke.